The ONLY Crepe Recipe You'll Ever Need

I used to be crazy intimidated by the mere thought of making crepes at home. 

Yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds, but it's the truth. 

Crepes scare me. They're foreign and French and thin and delicate. They are delicious, however, and I order crepes each and every time I go out for breakfast (sweet only, thankyouverymuch). 

But despite the fact that I'm pretty handy in the kitchen, crepes have been my nemesis. They seem so easy to destroy, burn, decimate, and ruin. However, one day I bit the bullet and decided to try my hand at the ever illusive crepes. And guess what? I discovered a secret that made me want to make crepes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

So you- the one who loves a good crepe but is terrified of trying your hand at it- never fear, because I am here to show you just how easy it is for you, too, to become a crepe master like yours truly!

I have mastered the art of making crepes at home without the use of any special gadgets (crepe pan? I scoff at you!) or ingredients, and now I want to pass that on to you!

Ready to become a sweet crepe master? Here's what you'll need:

First, gather the essentials:

A small frying pan (I use the smallest one in my kitchen, which is a 4" mini pan)

Silicone spatula (this is the secret to the perfect flip!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CREPE WITHOUT A SILICONE SPATULA!)

Mixing bowl

Ladle or large spoon


What you need:

2 eggs (room temperature)
3/4 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp melted butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 tbsp white sugar 
Cooking spray or spray olive oil to coat the pan

What to do:

Whisk eggs, milk, water, vanilla, and melted butter together.

Fold in flour and sugar and whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. If the mixture bubbles while mixing, allow it to rest for a few minutes before cooking. Remember, you want your crepe batter to be thin and runny!

Spray pan thoroughly with cooking spray or oil. Warm pan on medium to low heat. DO NOT pour crepe mixture into pan until it is warmed.

Ladle in a thin layer of your crepe batter into the middle of your pan and tilt your pan until the batter reachers all edges. Cook until the edges are golden (this will happen quite quickly). Gently flip your crepe using your silicone spatula. When the edges lift slightly, remove the crepe from the pan.

Repeat this process (including cooking spray) each time until you have a delicious stack of crepes!

How to fill:

A crepe is really useless unless it is filled with something delicious! My personal favourite filling has to be Devon custard (out of the can!), Raspberry pie filling and fresh raspberries. It is the perfect combination of sweet and tart without overwhelming the palate.




Look at that perfection! Now, I don't want to brag (yes I do) but this is a picture from my FIRST attempt at making crepes. FIRST! That's how foolproof my crepe-mastering plan is!
You will not fail!

However, if for some completely unknown reason you don't enjoy raspberries or devon custard, well don't worry!  The sky is the limit when it comes to filling your sweet crepes and I want you to go crazy on this one. 

How about trying out:
+Nutella and banana slices
+Fresh strawberries and whipped cream
+Peach slices and vanilla pudding 
+Peanut butter and jam with a sprinkle of chocolate chips

Feeling inspired? Yup, me too {and hungry!}. So go! Get in your kitchen and try your hand at crepes. Be unafraid and be creative and let me know how it goes! I'm here, holding your hand, as you become an {unofficial} crepe master like yours truly!

1 comment:

  1. Trying these this weekend! Also going to try to adapt for dairy-free :)

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.