Dear Z & W,
I've been on the planet for way longer than you have. Along the way, I've had my fair share of lessons, some of them stuck and some of them fell by the wayside. But some of them became my 'truths'- things that I hold near and dear to me and believe to almost always be absolute. They are fluid, often changing or shifting as life hands me new lessons along the way. Nonetheless, here is what I know to be true:
- Loyalty means more than you know. Be loyal to those who bring you up, give you a job when no one else wants you, take the time to teach you things. Keep their secrets. Don't sell out to the highest bidder or get poached by a competitor. They'll often use you for what you know and discard you.
- People can be idiots. Common sense isn't common.
- When your life is right with God, your life is right.
- Don't be afraid to speak up- it's the only way you'll get what you desire in life. Put yourself out there, no matter how uncomfortable.
- There will always be someone who doesn't wish you well. Don't dwell. You can't force people to like you.
- Gossip is toxic.
- It's OK to want to look attractive, it's not OK to make that the focus of your life.
- Work ethic is everything. Be willing to get dirty, make mistakes, be told you're wrong, do whatever it takes. Work hard. You will be rewarded.
- Make mistakes. Often.
- It's OK to have regrets. People who tell you that they regret nothing are lying.
- Life doesn't always go your way. Get used to it. Don't blame your past or other people. Face those issues head on and find a way to move past them.
- Most friendships have a season. Some will last for a lifetime but most will not. Nonetheless, make the most of the time you have with your friends- they are often your greatest teachers
- When in doubt- LOVE.